Long term residence permit shall be regulated by Articles 42-45 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection. Besides, long term residence permit shall be regulated by Articles 40-43 of the Regulation for Implementation of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
Who May Apply To Long Term Residence Permit?
- A long term residence permit shall be issued by the governorates, upon approval of the Ministry, to the foreigners that have continously resided in Turkey for at least eight years on a permit or to foreigners that meet the conditions set out by the Migration Policies Board.
- Refugees, conditional refugees and subsidiary protection beneficiaries as well as persons under temporary protection or humanitarian residence permit holders are not entitled to the right of transfer to a long-term residence permit.
For How Long May The Long Term Residence Permit Be Issued?
Long term residence permit shall be issued indefinitely.
What Are The Conditions For Long Term Residence Permit?
In order long term residence permit’s to be issued, foreigner is required to fulfil the required conditions stated in Article 43 of the Law.
- Having continous residence in Turkey for at least eight years (In calculation of continuous eight years, half of the duration of student resident permits, as stated in Law Article 38, and the full duration of all other types of residence permits shall be taken into account.);
- Not having received social assistance in the past three years;
- Having sufficient and stable income to maintain themselves or, if any, support their family;
- To be covered with a valid medical insurance;
- Not to be posing a public order or public security threat (except the foreigners who are approved by the Migration Policies Board)
Rights Granted by Long Term Residence Permit
Foreigners holding a long-term residence permit may benefit from the same rights as accorded to Turkish citizens with the exception of the provisions of special laws, and of compulsory military service, the right to vote and to be elected, entering public services, and exemption from customs duties when importing vehicles.
What Are The Reasons Of Refusal, Cancelation Or Non-Renewal Of Long Term Residence Permits?
A long-term residence permit shall be cancelled when the foreigner:
- poses a serious public security or public order threat,
- stays out of Turkey continously for more than one year for reasons other than health, education and compulsory public service in his/her country.
Cancellation of long term residence permit shall be made by governorates.
Re-applications of foreigners whose long-term residence permit have been cancelled
Re-applications for cancelled long term residence permits shall be lodged with the consulates abroad, governorates or General
Directorate in line with the application procedure.
In re-applications, the condition of continuous residence in Turkey for eight years on a residence permit shall not be required.
Those whose long-term residence permits have been cancelled for being outside of Turkey continuously for more than a year for a reason other than health, education, assignment and compulsory public service in their own countries can make an re-application.